Wednesday, May 29, 2013

#Indie Spotlight of Sherrie Lowe @SherrieLowe2 Author of Angel Breaths

Name: 
Sherrie Lowe

The Title of Your Work or Group: 
Angel Breaths

Where are you from?
Stoke-on-Trent UK

In what genre do you write?
Contemporary women's fiction

In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book you just read to a friend, what would you say about it? 
Angel Breaths was inspired by a news item on abortion laws which asked the question, at what point does a baby have a soul? It set me thinking. If a baby had a soul in the first weeks of gestation, how would it feel if it were aborted or miscarried? The story is told in the voice of the lost foetus as it watches over the family that it can never be an earthly part of. In due course it watches over its soulmate and its earthly sibling, who are both aware of its presence. As none of us know what it is like in the realm of the angels this is my interpretation; I gave my thoughts free rein. I have also written a short story on the same theme which I've sent to a women's magazine in the hope that it will also attract attention to Angel Breaths.

What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens. 
I have a basic outline and usually some idea of the ending but I find that the story evolves as I write so I might veer away from my initial intentions. I write with pen and paper first and only put it onto the computer, a chapter at a time, when I'm happy with it. I can't think on the computer!

Have you ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ? 
All the time!

Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself? 
I have read books that have supposedly been professionally edited and I've still seen mistakes. I figure if I'm paying someone who is going to miss the odd typo here and there I can do as good a job myself. I edit a chapter at a time as I work then go through the whole thing meticulously when it is finished.

My covers are water colour paintings done for me by an artist friend. The text is added on the publisher's website as part of the publication process.

Who is your favorite author. Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy. 
I have always admired Jilly Cooper's writing style but I could never match her! I was also moved by Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes, it influenced the writing of my memoir Shadow Across the Sun 

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I struggle with symbolism and coming up with an original and visual metaphor/similie. When I do think of one I'm really proud of it!

Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you? 
A bit of both.

Do you ever write yourself into the characters? 
I sometimes use characteristics of myself and friends/family and I often use amusing anecdotes if I feel they will enhance the story.

Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak.
I don't have a day job. I'm retired due to ill health but it is my aim to earn a living as a writer.

If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be? 
William Shakespeare. He used such beautiful imagery, as in Sonnett 18:

'Sometime too hot the eye of Heaven shines

And often is his gold complexion dimmed'

Wonderful!

(Here in the UK his gold complexion is more often dimmed than he shines too hot!!)

There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre? 
It is a controversial subject. Does anyone ever think about the soul of a foetus? I am fascinated by the soul: where it goes after the death of the body, where it was before life, how many millennia has it lived through? As it affects us all I imagine lots of other people are too. On the other hand there are those who don't believe in its existence. I can only go on my own experiences, which are covered in my memoir, Shadow Across the Sun.

In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from? 
I haven't come across any sure fire way but I have joined a group on Goodreads - Modern Good Reads - to discuss it. I have also downloaded a book by Greg Spence called How to Market Your Self Published Book Online 

Here is the Link: 

Links to find and follow Sherrie's work

Twitter: @SherrieLowe2


Watch the Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.